ACMA were appointed by an organisation following a serious unresolved complaint that resulted in a compliance review. The facility was subsequently subject to 26 unmet outcomes and was issued with a 6-week ‘Timeline’ For Improvement (TFI) to rectify the issues. The facility management group was depleted, and the organisations internal experience in managing non-compliance was limited. The staff turnover rate was greater than 50 percent.
ACMA was engaged to assume short term management of the service and to direct the recovery of non-compliance.
ACMA’s response was immediate, and our Advisors were on site within 24 hours to work with the Organisations executive and facility management to
- Establish and implement a plan to recover non-compliance and prevent escalation to sanction.
- Understand the contributing factors to poor culture and establish strategies for management and staff to foster constructive approaches to addressing cultural issues
- Resolve long standing consumer complaints
- Begin to restore consumer confidence
For the following six weeks ACMA was onsite 7-days a week to mentor and support facility staff, monitor and respond to clinical indicators, develop relationships with consumers and families and to ensure all corrective activities were achieved within the TFI.
ACMA worked with facility and organisational staff to review clinical operating systems and build capacity in the staff group. This supported the progressive development of a body of knowledge and evidence to support progression against issues of non-compliance and to develop long term capacity in the staff group.
At the completion of the Project ACMA had supported the aged care provider to achieve the following
- Recover all 26 non-compliant outcomes within the TFI
- Staff culture improved and staff turnover was reduced by more than 30%.
- Restore stability and trust within the work group
- Strengthen the capability of the facility management group, and better align the Organisations corporate services to enable effective day to day management.
- Improved communication and engagement with consumers and relatives, leading to greater trust between consumers and management.
- A gap analysis against all Standards for the whole of the organisation to prevent future issues and sanctions.